Friday, December 12, 2008

Montagnard Family

This past semester I have had the privilege of sitting under some amazing women! We did a study titled, God of Justice and Compassion. It was so amazing week in and week out learning about the heart of God. His heart for the poor, the needy, the widows,and the oppressed. We had a few speakers and a few field trips during the 3 months we were together. During this time, God really grabbed a hold of my heart. Rachel Humphries came to our bible study to explain what she is involved with.....Refugee families. Ways we could partner and really be a blessing to families that are here. Here is a quick summary about the ministry:

Fruitful Friendships:
A program designed to establish friendships and connections between the refugees and the greater Charlotte community.

Refugees often want little more than an American friend with whom they can practice their English and from whom they can get answers to questions that help them navigate their new culture. In addition, there is often a lack of fresh fruits and vegetables in the diets of recently arrived refugees.

Fruitful Friendships needs families or individuals to devote an hour a week to deliver a basket (or bag) of fruits and vegetables to these families, as well as spend a short amount of time talking with them and helping them feel more connected to America.

I started visiting my sweet friend Bien! She is so sweet and gets so so very excited when I come through her door! She has 2 daughters ( I have not yet met) ages 8 and 10. She also has 2 boys the same ages as Dylan and Ava! John and Jack just light up when the boys and I come over. John (3) has grown to adore Ty and Bryce and cries when we leave! I really can't explain the over whelming joy that I feel when I leave their house.

Will you commit to pray for this family and their transition to the states. They have been here for 3 years, but America is not their home and the cold weather, the food, and the language barrier can be extremely overwhelming.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jay & Jess said...

Betty -
Do you know how I could get connected to something like this in Cincinnati? It sounds amazing.